Reading to your child is one of the most important things you can do to help foster a life-long love of reading. Studies show that reading to your child is an essential component in providing a future academic advantage. These reading tips will encourage children of all ages to love reading and become life-long readers!
How do reading skills develop?
Research has identified five skills that are essential for learning to read:
- Phonemic Awareness: Being able to notice, understand, and work with the sounds in words.
- Phonics: A method of teaching reading, based on sounding out letters to read words.
- Fluency: Being able to read accurately and quickly.
- Vocabulary: Knowing what words mean when we hear and read them.
- Text Comprehension: Truly understanding what is read.
As a parent or caregiver you play a critical role in helping children not only learn to read, but develop a life-long love of reading. You can make reading a part of your child’s life by clicking on the links below and following the tips that are just right for your child’s age.