Hooked on Phonics® Reading Tips
April 28, 2017Hooked on Phonics
How do reading skills develop?
Reading to your child is one of the most important things you can do to help foster a life-long love of reading. Studies show that reading to your child is an essential component in providing a future academic advantage. These reading tips will encourage children of all ages to love reading and become lifelong readers!
Research has identified five skills that are essential for learning to read:
- Phonemic Awareness: Being able to notice, understand, and work with the sounds in words.
- Phonics: A method of teaching reading, based on sounding out letters to read words.
- Fluency: Being able to read accurately and quickly.
- Vocabulary: Knowing what words mean when we hear and read them.
- Text Comprehension: Truly understanding what is read.
As a parent or caregiver, you play a critical role in helping children not only learn to read but develop a life-long love of reading. You can make reading a part of your child’s life by clicking on the links below and following the tips that are just right for your child’s age.