Henry and Mudge: The First Book
Story by Cynthia Rylant
Illustrated by Suçie Stevenson
The first book in the acclaimed Ready-to-Read series from Newbery Medalist Cynthia Rylant featuring Henry and his lovable 180-pound dog, Mudge. Henry, feeling lonely on a street without any other children, finds companionship and love in a big dog named Mudge.
Just by looking at the cover, ask your child to use their imagination and create a mini-story about the front cover of the book. With their creative juices flowing, see how many ideas they came up with come true in the story.
- Why does Henry want a dog?
- What characteristics was Henry looking for when he was searching for a dog? What characteristics would you look for in a pet? If you already have a pet, what characteristics do you like about your pet?
- Why was Henry afraid to walk to school alone? Are you afraid of those things? What makes you feel better when you’re afraid?
- What did Mudge like to do while he was in Henry’s room?
- How do you think Mudge and Henry felt when Mudge got lost in the woods?
- What did Henry do to find Mudge?
Imagine what it would be like to have a big dog like Mudge. What would need to be adjusted or changed at home or in your daily routine to accommodate the new addition to the family? Have your child draw it out and come up with a story to share with you.